Monday 29 December 2008

Buxted Oast Farm Fishery, Buxted, East Sussex. December 29th, 2008.

BuxtedOast.jpg Buxted Oast Farm Fishery picture by pnm123
Well with Maria back at work today after the Christmas break, I’d accepted an Invitation from Bill G on the Maggotdrowning forum to join him and a few of the lads for an impromptu Knock-up at Buxted Oast, especially as it was a venue that I’d not fished previously. Having dropped Maria of at work around 6am I popped back home to load the car up, but with the outside temp readout showing -2°C I must admit to questioning my sanity as I pulled away from the flats.

An easy trip down saw me have enough time to stop for some breakfast in East Grinstead and still arrive by 8·30am, though by the time I pulled up the temp was down to -3°C. My 1st site of the Lake revealed over half of it was iced over, It was fed by a stream at one end with a ‘monk’ type outlet at the other, and it had space for around 17 pegs maximum, but with only eight of us fishing today we wouldn’t be to cramped. While Bill pegged out the chat revolved around who would have to break the ice.

Draw time and Kev was 1st in for peg 2 and I followed with Peg 3, these are the pegs where the stream comes in and share a reed bed that Bill reckoned had Carp moving in them when he pegged out, but by the time I got my gear down there, they were nowhere to be seen (Must have seen Bill’s face and buggered off) However it was relatively ice free, with just a bit of cat ice and with the sun shining that would soon go.

W1-15.jpg My Peg. picture by pnm123
A couple of pegs to my left was Mick with John, one of Bill’s club mates next up. On the road bank were Ryan, Vince on the outlet and Mick’s brother Geoff in the corner peg, which Bill reckoned was the ‘Flyer’, leaving Bill in the shade and ice bound on the final peg.

Bill, Geoff and Vince had some serious ice breaking to do 1st, while the rest of us had the luxury of setting up straight away. I was going with the pole and just set up a couple of identical top kits. Both of these were rigged with Malman 4×12 Snake 1′s on 0·12 to an 0·10 bottom with a size 20 Drennan Match Carp hook, Feed was just micro and 4mm hard pellet, which would be fed through a kinder pot, while bait was simply 4mm expanders and corn.

10am and the All-in, and with an initial feed of a pinch of micro’s and a couple of grains of corn potted in against the rushes I dropped the rig baited with a piece of corn full of anticipation.Kevin had a bit more trouble with the ice in his peg so started off targeting the other end of the reeds,

W7-10.jpg Kevin tying hard. picture by pnm123
Mick was soon into small Roach fishing maggot with his trusty Tri-Cast and Mitchell 300, but no amount of lifting, dropping and dragging the rig could induce a bite for me. with an hour gone Ryan had a small Carp, but most of us were struggling and Bill was already starting to freeze on his shaded peg, though he appeared to be getting the odd Carp.
W8-10.jpg A cold Bill. picture by pnm123
A change to pellet on the hook made no difference apart from a few knocks that I was convinced were small roach shredding the pellet. However the bird life was a pleasant distraction, with a Kingfisher flitting back and forth across the pool between perching in the trees……..
W10-11.jpg Kingfisher. picture by pnm123
While a tiny Wren flitted around my peg on the lookout for a tasty morsel to come his way………
W9-11.jpg Wren picture by pnm123
2 hours in and I went for a stroll. Mick was happily bashing the bits. John had had a few small Carp and silvers, while Ryan was now targeting the Roach in the absence of another Carp. Vince and Geoff were both struggling with just a few small Roach between them.
W4-15.jpg picture by pnm123
Bill however was getting a few Carp and landed a small one of around 6ozs while we chatted, however with no sun on it his peg was so cold that I soon left him to it.
W5-13.jpg Bill's Peg. picture by pnm123
Returning to my peg Kev was admitting to a solitary small Roach but my peg was still dead apart from a few more knocks on pellet. This was getting desperate and I was starting to think that I was going to end 2008 not just with a blank, but worse still losing a £1 to Vince.

Desperate measures were called for so I popped along to Mick and scrounged some maggots off him. Double maggot on the hook and straight away a small roach obliged saving me from the dreaded blank. Now it was just a case of getting my head down and catching as many as possible in the last couple of hours. If Vince managed to nick a Carp he would be firmly in the Pound seats, if not I was in with a chance.

A visit from Bill, who was trying to restore some circulation revealed Vince was targeting the Roach as well, but I was at least catching regularly, and that’s the way it stayed until the all out was called at 3pm. Kevin’s solitary roach had saved him the dreaded DNW, while 4lbs was the result of my bit bashing. Mick had around 7lbs for his efforts. John’s 18½lbs was a very creditable effort on the day,, while Ryan’s bonus Carp added to his Roach saw him weigh 4¼lbs, Vince had had a mare however with to many missed bites meaning that just 1lb 10ozs registered on the scales, so the final £1 of 2008 was mine. Geoff added 2lbs 10ozs of waggler caught Roach, but the star on the day was Bill with a very fine 37½lbs to take the honours on the day.

So that’s it for 2008, I was hoping to get out one final time before New Year, but with the way the frosts are coming down at night, I think I’ll wait till the New Year before venturing out again. What will 2009 bring? Well hopefully more £1 coins from Vince. I’m already booked in for another Jinx Series and more Marsh AC club matches, but above all I’m looking forward to more fun and enjoyment with all those I fish with in 2009.
Till then may I wish all that read this a Happy, Prosperous and Fish Filled New Year.



Position              Angler    Weight
 1st Bill(Zak Dingle)Gibbins 37lbs 08ozs
 2nd John Manktelow  18lbs 08ozs
 3rd Mick(The Chippy)Pearson   7lbs 00ozs
 4th Ryan(Zephyr)Wells   4lbs 04ozs
 5th Peter(Mugger)Morton   4lbs 00ozs
 6th Geoff(geoffallday)Pearson   2lbs 10ozs
 7th Vince(Vince G)Gould   1lbs 10ozs
 8th Kevin(The Catch)Loveland          04ozs











No comments:

Post a Comment