Friday 28 December 2007

Monk Lakes. Match Lake 4. December 28th, 2007.


Last outing of 2007.
MonksMatchLake4.jpg picture by pnm123
Well after planning on going to Hartleylands but not being able to confirm that the fishery would be open, 4 of us (Dave, Tony, Bill and I) from the Maggotdrowning Forum  arrived at Monk Lakes today at around 9·30am to have a light hearted knock-up on match lake 4. We were expecting Vince to join us but a text message at 8am telling me that he’d spent the night chatting to God on the big white phone ruled him out.

The weather was dull and overcast, but at least it wasn’t raining, and though the temp said 10°C the howling wind made it seem a fair bit cooler. With Bill, Dave & Tony looking to fish the pole I let them take the 3 vacant pegs with the wind on their backs.

Trio.jpg picture by pnm123
while I went round to the left hand side and settled into a swim that would allow me to cast to the lee of a small island
MyPeg.jpg picture by pnm123
I was going to try out my new Christmas Present from Maria, a Shakespeare Mach 3 11ft feeder rod and 1oz tip which I’d teamed up with a Stradic 3000. the rig was just a small free-running Drennan Carp Feeder with an 8″ hooklink to a Fox Series2 18 hook with double red maggot as bait. I’d also set up my Mach 3 Micro with a Malman Floats 3SSG styro pellet wag set at 18″ deep with a Fox Series2 18 hook again just in case anything was up in the water.

1st cast out and a gentle tap on the tip followed by a 2″ pull produced what was to be the 1st of many Chublets around the 4oz mark. Likewise Bill was straight into action with a run of small Carp. Dave and Tony were having to work a bit harder for their fish to start with but soon started to put a few together, indeed Tony managed the best fish of the session when he he landed this Tench that tipped the scales at 4½lbs as well as a cracking Roach of 1lbs 10ozs …

TonyTench4lb.jpg picture by pnm123
The whole session was really just a social, with breaks taken for chats and the sampling of a rather fine 12 year old Rum that Dave had brought back from his recent cruise adding a warming glow to proceedings.

Later on I tried the waggler and despite not being able to feed the line owing to the wind almost every cast produced either another Chublet, small F1 or Mirror.

Around 3pm we called a halt and a quick weigh-in revealed 28lbs for me, Bill had 30lbs, Tony 20 lbs and Dave 13lbs. Quite satisfying given the conditions. If we had concentrated I’m sure we would all have doubled our weights but that wasn’t really the name of the game today. It was just good to be out on the bank with a few friends enjoying ourselves, and a nice way to end my fishing in 2007. 



No comments:

Post a Comment