Saturday 13 October 2007

Churchgate Lakes. Essex. The Bottom Lake. October 13th, 2007,


Marsh AC club match.
ChurchgateBottomLake.jpg picture by pnm123
Another cracking day out as usual with Marsh AC. This was to be the last match of the year for the club on a venue that was a new one on the club calendar. I have to say what a lovely looking venue Churchgate Lakes is, consisting of 3 lakes (we fished Bottom Lake) but it switched off big time on the day for no apparent reason.

I had drawn peg 7 and I have to say I fancied it, with a nice comfortable chuck to the point of an island and a nice level 7ft of depth on the pole line at around 12mtrs…
Peg7BottomLakeweb.jpg picture by pnm123
I had Terry Goff (Wily Coyote) for company on peg 8, and with Dave (TheFish) and his wife Gladys on 9 & 10 and with Paul (nomorelongwalks) and Tony (spamwham) next to them, it was resembling a mini MD’s match.

Things however were slow from the off and though people could be heard saying they were catching fish one a chuck, it turned out that these fish were small Pumpkinseeds and tiny Ide!! Next door to me though it was Terry who had managed a decent Mirror Carp on the feeder early on……

NiceoneforTerryweb.jpg picture by pnm123
I couldn’t buy a bite on the feeder though, not even a liner. Well I did have one bite, but of course that came while I was tying up another hook length with Dave the Fish chatting to me, so as you can imagine he was totally sympathetic.

I stuck it out with maggot on an 18 fishing on the deck for the majority of the session nicking small 4oz Skimmers and a solitary 3lb’er. I was briefly attached to a ‘lump’ which bottomed out my black Hydro in record time, but with 30 minutes to go and an estimated 7lb in the net I remarked to Terry that it looked like he had me beaten on the day. Knowing you, you’ll probably mug a lump before the end ‘ was his reply. Nice to know that he had faith in my piscatorial skill and tenacity being rewarded.

Well with 5 minutes to go I lifted into another dip of the float only to be greeted by yards of black Hydro streaming out of the top kit !!!!. Obviously a decent fish, it was a slow plodding fight and I managed to net it just as the whistle went for the end of the match. It was a chunky Mirror Carp which weighed 17lbs 6ozs, equalling my PB Carp and the largest fish that I’ve ever caught on the pole.
Added to the silvers it gave me 25lbs 14ozs  which proved to be enough for the win.

A special mention for Judy Hermite who managed to catch 2 decent Carp (1 of them a double) on her pole, Judy’s more at home fishing with a rod and reel and these were her largest pole caught fish and gave her 2nd place on the day. Well done Judy.

Also to Gladys Collier, on her 1st Marsh AC match, doubling hubby Dave’s weight off the next peg much to his delight. As you can imagine of course we were all full of sympathy for him at the weigh-in………………….NOT.



Position         Angler     Weight
 1st Peter Morton         25lbs 14ozs
 2nd Judy Hermite         21lbs 02ozs
 3rd Paul East            13lbs 10ozs
 4th John Holdsworth     13lbs 08ozs
 5th Gladys Collier       12lbs 04ozs
 6th Terry Goff           11lbs 08ozs
 7th Tony Roberts         10lbs 08ozs
 8th Roger Noakes            8lbs 08ozs
 9th Zack Johnson      5lbs 10ozs
 10th Dave Collier            5lbs 08ozs
 11th Kevin Loveland          3lbs 08ozs
 12th Graham Manning          3lbs 00ozs 
 13th Arthur Thompson         2lbs 08ozs
 Martin Hucker                DNW
 Chris Withall                DNW
 Ed Dobson                    DNW
 Rod Turner                   DNW

No comments:

Post a Comment