Saturday 11 August 2007

Stockton Reservoir. Southam. August 10th, 2007.


The JINX Series 2007
Match 4.
StocktonReservoir-1.jpg Stockton Reservoir picture by pnm123
Well, off to Stockton today for the 4th round of the Jinx Series. A nice trouble free drive up saw me arrive in plenty of time enabling me to take a leisurely stroll round what I consider to be one of BW’s most scenic waters and to have a look at the pegs we would be fishing today.
StocktonfromCarParkweb.jpg picture by pnm123
 In previous Jinx matches I’ve fished on the venue we have fished “The Boards” pegs, but for this match we were on those to the right as you enter from the car park including those known as The Animal pegs due to them being surrounded by masses of rushes which can make extracting any of the resident Carp something of a challenge. They are also home to plenty of bird life too………
MumandKidsweb.jpg picture by pnm123
Most of us arrived in good time allowing for a pre match drink in The Blue Lias Inn and the chance of a chin-wag and a chance to catch up.
As usual Malc had forgotten a number of things including the weigh sling and draw sheets so the draw was a little delayed, meaning that we would be fishing from 1·30 – 6·30pm.


The draw bag had dealt me peg 41, right on the end of the Animal Pegs so that I had relatively open water with just the end of the reeds reachable with a short cast on the feeder. To my left I had Paul Roberts accompanied by his good lady Jayne (Though rumour has it that she’s really his community care worker) on peg 42. While to my right on peg 40 was young Ant Haywood, current leader of this years Jinx Series, and only needing another section win to tie up the series with one match to go.

My plan of attack was going to be simple, just setting up a feeder rod  for the chuck to the edge of the reeds alternating baits between meat, catmeat, corn, pellet or worm until I could find what they wanted. Initially I didn’t set up my pole intent on sticking with the feeder.

All in and most started on the feeder but Ant fed heavily at both 16mtrs and 8mtrs before spending a short time on the pole. Paul soon discovered that with Colin to his left and myself to his right he was surrounded by “Cockneys” and it would be fair to say that it set the tone for a sustained 5hrs of light hearted banter and mickey taking.

Sport was so slow that it was almost none existent, even this fella didn’t seem to be having any luck…………..
GreatCrestedGrebeweb.jpg picture by pnm123
though Ant managed to foul hook a Carp and played it patiently to the net with plenty of encouragement from yours truly and a short while later this was followed by another similar fish………….
Ant1web.jpg picture by pnm123
Me? I couldn’t buy a bite and after 2½hrs out came the pole. Dave Collier came up for a chat and almost right on cue the float dipped up up popped a foul hooked Perch, straight into the net and at least a DNW had been avoided, this was soon followed by a Rudd that swallowed a worm twice it’s size, I was positively baggin……….NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul was getting a few bites on the paste by now but was having trouble keeping them out of the reeds, but at least he was getting some fish into the net. I sat the final hour out on the paste over pellet and was briefly attached to a couple of Carp before they vanished into the distance, but the reality was that the final whistle was a blessing, as I had the feeling that I could have sat there for another 5 hours and progressed no further.

So yet another £1 coin handed over to young Gemma due to her MINXING me as I weighed in an incredibly generous 4ozs from the scales-man.(The cheque’s in the post Malc.)

Paul edged out Ant for the section, but he’s still in pole position for the series. Matt Nutt won on the day with 6 Carp all caught on the pellet for 48lbs.


I still love the venue but it can be incredibly frustrating and it beat me today but I will return as it’s one of those venues that I really enjoy.

Next weekend I’m out with the members of Marsh AC at Hartleylands Farm where we’re fishing the Reservoir, hopefully I’ll manage a few more fish than today, but who knows? I’ll let you know the outcome. 



Position               Angler   Weight
 1st Matt Nutt  48lbs 00ozs
 2nd Roy Ravenhill 41lbs 08ozs
 3rd Paul Roberts 28lbs 00ozs
 4th Gary Thorpe                (Guest) 26lbs 00ozs
 5th Nick Jones 24lbs 08ozs
 6th Brian Bevan 23lbs 12ozs
 7th Dirk Williams 23lbs 00ozs
 8th Fred Parker 21lbs 12ozs
 9th Ant Haywood 17lbs 08ozs
 10th Nick Williams 16lbs 12ozs
 11th Eric Robathan 15lbs 04ozs
 12th= Steve Wilson 15lbs 00ozs
 12th= Dave Collier 15lbs 00ozs
 12th= Jimmy L                       (Guest) 15lbs 00ozs
 15th= Mark Causer 10lbs 00ozs
 15th= Keith Ashby 10lbs 00ozs
 17th Kevin Lake   9lbs 12ozs
 18th Malc Doyle   8lbs 04ozs
 19th Tim Westmoreland        (Guest)   8lbs 00ozs
 20th= Dave Moore   7lbs 08ozs
 20th= Clive Pritchard   7lbs 08ozs
 22nd Dave Ashby   7lbs 00ozs
 23rd Gemma Doyle   6lbs 04ozs
 24th Geoff Eggison   1lbs 08ozs
 25th Nick Watkins-Price                    12ozs
 26th= Peter Morton           04ozs 
 26th= Colin Sharrard           04ozs
 28th= Mark Lake       DNW
 28th= Dai Thomas       DNW
 28th= Simon Mound                (Guest)       DNW







No comments:

Post a Comment